12.31.2007

Packing Light When You Travel

Whenever I travel I pack as much as I think I might need in as small and light a space I can. I usually have a couple things for entertainment, as well as other stuff I may not have when I am away. I usually don't bring all my work unless it is something digital, because I already know that personally it will only get lost or messed up, and that I am not going to be able to focus in most places I visit or travel to, so I will take something that is small and I can work on for minutes at a time. The reason as to why, I mention this is because the other day, I went away for a 4 days, and was able to pack very light, and noticed that there was not at any point in my trip, a time when I needed more stuff.

I recommend:

  • If you take a towel, take a small towel such as a kids towel.

  • If you take a blanket, try to take one that is somewhat light such as a down blanket.

  • Pack for an extra day, plan on wearing pants for 2-3 days.

  • Take as little as you can as far as electronics. If you have an iPod and a laptop you are taking, you most likely will not need that wall charger, it is just one more little thing to stuff in the corners of your bag because you will have your laptop to charge your iPod when necessary.

  • Pack your clothes according to when you thing you are going to wear them. The stuff you will wear the earliest last. Fold and then roll, maybe even use a jumbo rubber band for some things. Place the things sideways.

  • Only put stuff you can actually use during the time you will have in your carry on in your carry on or upfront bag. Most of the time you can't use a regular outlet. If you are driving and know you will need an outlet, get one of those converters that plugs into your car's lighter and has regular outlets on the other end. Be power conscience.

  • Pack the very minimal as far as shower stuff. Use travel size items whenever possible.

  • Leave some space in case you buy something or don't want to refold things. Usually just quickly folding them into quarters and then rolling works, besides at this point it does not matter if it is wrinkled for the ride home.

  • Make sure that you can keep track of it all and fit it into 1 hand, or carry it all at once; and maybe have something like a backpack.

  • Be sure this is something you could carry if you needed to carry it the whole trip everywhere you went.